Friday, September 14, 2012

sub or hero?

Disclaimer: this post is not actually about the linguistics of a sub/hero/hoagie. I don't want this blog to be the start of geographical warfare (because that's totally what would happen). Authors Note: If you're visting South Jersey, it's hoagie.

I was reading Stephanie's blog this morning and she noted she has never made zucchini bread with nutmeg, simply because she didn't have it in her pantry. Instead, she uses pumpkin pie spice and it works out just fine. This got me thinking about all the times I haven't had something in the pantry/fridge that a receipe called for. When, and if, I meal planned, I usually just went right down the list and bought everything a receipe called for. This can get very expensive and half the time I don't use the ingredient again. Talk about a waste of money.

Lately, I've been getting better at checking out substitutions for common (and not so common) ingredients. I thought I would share with my lovely readers (all three of you) my favorites so far. Just know that these are necessarily "healthier" substitutions, but perhaps, easier.

Allspice: equal parts nutmeg, cinnamon, & cloves

Bread crumbs: rolled oats (crushed up a bit) or even plain potato chips crushed finely

Butter: 7/8 cup of oil for every one cup of butter

Buttermilk: just under 1 cup of milk combined with 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Let sit for five minutes then use as needed

Egg: applesauce, half a banana, or plain yogurt can be great egg substitutes in baked goods, just remember to add a pinch of baking powder if you need the food to rise when cooking. If you're really in a pinch, try mixing two tablespoons of water with two tablespoons of baking powder.

Fish sauce (my secret ingredient in a lot of things!): 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce

Ginger: 1/2 teaspoon ground to substitute for 1 teaspoon fresh

Molasses: 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar combined with 1/4 cup water, OR 1 cup dark honey or maple syrup

Vinegar (white or cider): 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice

That's just a very brief list - check here if you're looking for something specific.

It might take a few more minutes to make a substitute, but your wallet will definitely thank you when the receipe is done! What's your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment