Monday, September 17, 2012

seven minutes in shopper's heaven

This morning, while purusing Yahoo, I came across the article 7 Signs You're a Shopaholic. Immediately, I thought, "Tell me something I don't know." But, just for fun, lets go through their criteria together.

1. You have many tagged or unopened items in your closet.
Hell no. When I buy something new, I immediately wear it as soon as possible. Otherwise, what's the point of buying it?

2. You often purchase things you don't need or didn't plan to buy.
Guilty. For reference, see this post about a trip to Target.

3. An argument or frustration sparks the urge to shop.
Nah. I quell my frustration and anger through drinking.

4. You experience a rush of excitement when you buy.
Most definitely. You know those Kohl's commercials about "shopping to win"? That's me. One time, My savings total was $1,022 at Kohl's and you might as well have shot me up with heroin. I was high on savings.

5. Purchases are followed with feelings of remorse.
Eh. I'll go half-sies on this one. Sometimes, I'll feel guilty about a purchase, especially if it's one we really didn't need, but this doesn't happen too often.

6. You try to conceal your shopping habits.
Again, half-sies. Have I done it in the past? Yes. But it's not something that happens more than once or twice a year. I can't remember the last time I snuck a bag into the house.

7. You feel anxious on the days you don't shop.
No. I don't have the shakes or anything yet.

Okay, so I'm not a full fledged shopaholic, but it looks like I'm well on my way.

Yahoo suggests I "find a new activity" to substitute for shopping, which frankly, is ridiculous. Jogging will never be more fun than shopping, at least in my book. Although, I could get some cute new sneakers (just kidding, don't worry!). Or I could watch more TV, if that's even possible (and thus see commercials for things I want).

Then, I should "identify my triggers" which I think in the course of this blog, we've already done. I know I tend to shop before social events or when I'm feeling sad about something. Whether or not I "avoid shopping at all costs" at those moments is debateable. Next, we "remove temptation", by limiting shopping trips and going when only necessary. Unfortunately for Yahoo (and my wallet), I am the best execuse-maker I know, and I can make every shopping trip a necessary one.

They also advise to carry only the cash you need. There are a few schools of thought that harp on this principal, but I've never tried it. There's something about it I just don't like... I can't quite put my finger on it.

Lastly, "if you're still struggling with compulsive spending, don't be afraid to ask for help." I won't lie to you, my three faithful readers, lately I have thought about seeking some professional counseling on the subject. If for nothing else that some objective thoughts on the matter at hand. Maybe there's some deep-seeded reason for my shopping habits that I've been forcing into the deep recesses of my pysche. Probably not though.

Any thoughts on the article? Is there anything you would to the definition of a shopaholic?

No comments:

Post a Comment