Wednesday, February 22, 2012

We are Living in a Material World

And I am a Material Girl. That's what got me into this mess in the first place.

I recently discovered the Lenten practice of giving up something you enjoy is optional not mandatory. Call me a bad Catholic (it's okay) but for all my years of Catholic school, I never remember being told I didn't have to. So I always have. Even into adulthood, where my practice of the faith has lapsed, my Lenten ritual remained. This year, the challenge is bigger than ever.

The wake up call came yesterday, when I pulled my yearly free credit report, and found my score had gone down. Significantly.

I tried to tell myself it was because we just bought the house last year. While I'm sure that had a hand in it, that nagging voice in my head and the bad feeling in the pit of my stomach told me what it really was - credit card debt.

So for my Lenten resolution I've vowed to give up spending and start religiously (pun intended) saving. I'll be spilling the good (if there is any), the bad (there's tons), and the ugly for the next forty days as I try to evolve from a spendthrift to a savvy saver.

Day One Spent:
Library fine: $1.20
Shop Rite: $69.98
-----------------------
Day One Saved:
$0.00

No comments:

Post a Comment